Oh, my darlin’! Meet Clementine, Hogle Zoo’s new Zebra
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s Hogle Zoo is welcoming an adorable new baby Zebra named Clementine, born Oct. 23 and already bonding nicely with mother, Zoe.
This new face joins Zibby, the Zebra that debuted in June, and Georgetta the baby giraffe, who joined the Savanna crew last month.
The @HogleZoo has a new baby!
Meet Clementine. 🦓 pic.twitter.com/ipSWXCrD4R
— KSL Newsradio (@kslnewsradio) October 29, 2018
A generous donor named the baby that tipped the scales at 85 pounds.
According to the zoo, Clementine is the third Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra ever born at Utah’s Hogle Zoo.
Mother Zoe gave birth to baby Poppy last year, making Clementine Zoe’s second foal.
Ziggy, father to all three babies, is doing well. Zookeepers report he is “watching with mild curiosity from afar.”
“Clementine has no fear,” said Melissa Farr, lead keeper at African Savanna, in a statement. “The other foals stayed pretty close to the barn on their first day on Savanna. But Clementine ran all the way to the west end right near the lions. She’s so brave and loves to explore.”
Zoo officials say the baby is doing great, nursing regularly, and working on her kicks.
Mama Zoe is very protective and proving to be a wonderful second-time mom.
For more information go to hoglezoo.org
Today’s Top Stories
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Coronavirus Prevention
- What can the Layton dog bite teach us about free speech?
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- BYU study sees no advantage for either party in mail-in voting