Sacramento State names Utah offensive coordinator Troy Taylor its new football coach
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – Sacramento State has hired Utah offensive coordinator Troy Taylor as its new football coach.
We are excited to announce Troy Taylor as the 11th head football coach in Hornet history. #StingersUp https://t.co/IrlAplCIlj
— Sac State Football (@SacHornetsFB) December 17, 2018
Athletic director Mark Orr announced the move Monday, calling Taylor an innovative play-caller with ties to the Sacramento area.
Taylor has been coordinator for the Utes the past two seasons, helping them win the Pac-12 South this year. He spent the 2016 season as co-offensive coordinator at Eastern Washington after a stint as a high school coach near Sacramento where he tutored Washington quarterback Jake Browning.
Taylor grew up in the Sacramento area and starred in college at California, leaving the school as the all-time leading passer with 8,126 yards in 1989.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Utah’s online marriage licensing gets attention all over the world
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah