Simone Biles sets record for most world gymnastics championship medals
GERMANY (CNN) — Simone Biles became the most decorated gymnast in the world championships’ history on Sunday with a gold medal on the balance beam in Stuttgart, Germany on Sunday.
The US gymnast won her 25th career world medal at the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships, surpassing Belarusian Vitaly Scherbo’s career total of 23.
A four-time Olympic champion, Biles now holds 19 golds. Scherbo, a Belarussian who competed in the 1990s, had been the most decorated gymnast in world championship history.
On Saturday, Biles won the vault by more than half a point, averaging 15.399 for her two attempts. US gymnast Jade Carey won silver and Elissa Downie of Great Britain took bronze.
The world vault title is Biles’ second (2018). She also won gold in the event at the 2016 Olympics.
Biles also competed in the uneven bars Saturday, finishing fifth.
The 22-year-old says she’s preparing for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo — which she has said will be her last Olympics.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces the construction of 18 new temples
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Rubio vows to oppose potential Hurricane Ian aid package if lawmakers ‘load it up with…
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Suspect in 2015 murder of West Valley City woman arrested
- Sacheen Littlefeather, Native American activist and actress, dead at 75