21 killed in bus crash in Guatemala, officials say
At least seven children were among the dead and 11 people were injured, according to a statement from the Public Ministry.
The crash occurred near the town of Gualán in the department of Zacapa, the statement said, about 168 kilometers (104 miles) from the nation’s capital, Guatemala City.
It’s unclear what caused the crash. The drivers of the bus and the truck were detained and sent to a detention center, the ministry said.
Investigators are still working to identify some of the victims.
Footage from CNN affiliate Canal Antigua showed a bus on the side of the road with its side torn away as bystanders gathered around. Debris and clothes were strewn along the side of the road.
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery