21 killed in bus crash in Guatemala, officials say
At least seven children were among the dead and 11 people were injured, according to a statement from the Public Ministry.
The crash occurred near the town of Gualán in the department of Zacapa, the statement said, about 168 kilometers (104 miles) from the nation’s capital, Guatemala City.
It’s unclear what caused the crash. The drivers of the bus and the truck were detained and sent to a detention center, the ministry said.
Investigators are still working to identify some of the victims.
Footage from CNN affiliate Canal Antigua showed a bus on the side of the road with its side torn away as bystanders gathered around. Debris and clothes were strewn along the side of the road.
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Victim in Box Elder County worksite accident is identified
- Biden calls abortion ruling ‘a sad day’ for country
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake