Fans Gather Outside Staples Center Following Death of Kobe Bryant
LOS ANGELES (KTLA ) — Dozens of fans gathered Sunday afternoon at L.A. Live Plaza outside Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles following the death of Lakers legend Kobe Bryant.
Bryant, who spent his entire 20-year career with the team, was killed in a helicopter crash earlier in the day. He was 41.
A few of the fans who gathered outside the arena told KTLA’s Sam Rubin, “they didn’t know where else to go.”
Video from outside the arena shows one fan placing a wreath. Los Angeles Times sportswriter Jack Harris, who recorded the moment, tweeted that the fan heard the news while in Hollywood, purchased the flowers and then went directly to L.A. Live.
“We’re in shock. These are things no one is expecting. I’m shaking,” he told Harris.
Additional security measures, including fencing, were in place to accommodate the 2020 Grammy Awards, which are being held in the arena.
The Los Angeles Police Department discouraged fans from gathering, tweeting, “As a reminder, the area around the Staples Center is closed due to the Grammys & fans will not be able to access the arena.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- SLCPD officer witnesses wrong-way drunk driver crash into embankment
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- China says it ‘reserves the right’ to deal with ‘similar situations’…