Fans Gather Outside Staples Center Following Death of Kobe Bryant
LOS ANGELES (KTLA ) — Dozens of fans gathered Sunday afternoon at L.A. Live Plaza outside Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles following the death of Lakers legend Kobe Bryant.
Bryant, who spent his entire 20-year career with the team, was killed in a helicopter crash earlier in the day. He was 41.
A few of the fans who gathered outside the arena told KTLA’s Sam Rubin, “they didn’t know where else to go.”
Video from outside the arena shows one fan placing a wreath. Los Angeles Times sportswriter Jack Harris, who recorded the moment, tweeted that the fan heard the news while in Hollywood, purchased the flowers and then went directly to L.A. Live.
“We’re in shock. These are things no one is expecting. I’m shaking,” he told Harris.
Additional security measures, including fencing, were in place to accommodate the 2020 Grammy Awards, which are being held in the arena.
The Los Angeles Police Department discouraged fans from gathering, tweeting, “As a reminder, the area around the Staples Center is closed due to the Grammys & fans will not be able to access the arena.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- Missing girls from South Jordan found near San Diego
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- UDOT makes changes to traffic study after feedback