SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — A parole fugitive and a K9 officer are dead after being shot and killed during an operation that involved the U.S. Marshals Violent Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team.
The shooting took place just before midnight on Thursday around the area of 400 East and 300 South.
The strike team first found the fugitive, Brian Filion, coming out of an apartment, according to Brandon Holt, chief deputy with the U.S. Marshals Service in Utah.
Officers gave chase after Filion fled and shortly afterward he was shot once he displayed a weapon.
A K9 officer, “Hondo,” was deployed and injured during the shooting, according to Holt.
Earlier today, “Friends for Unified Police K9” posted a brief statement on Facebook.
Later, Unified Police posted on Facebook that Hondo has sadly died.
Our thoughts are with Herriman PD and particularly with the K9 handler and his family, who lost their beloved partner and friend. All give some, some give all….
One woman has been taken into custody. Cops have not identified the woman or released any information pertaining to her possible relationship with the suspect.
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Herriman Police K9 Hondo, who was killed in the line of duty last night while assisting the U.S. Marshal’s Office in apprehending a dangerous fugitive.
A press conference will be held today at 3pm at the Herriman City Hall pic.twitter.com/CuABvAmipy
— Herriman PD (@HerrimanPolice) February 14, 2020
Officials say no other officers were injured.
An investigation will be conducted by the Salt Lake City Police Department’s officer-involved critical incident protocol team.
A troubling trend
This is the second officer involved shooting in Salt Lake City this week alone.
On Monday, police exchanged gunfire with a suspect involved in a domestic dispute. Cops say they found a woman deceased in an apartment. The suspect in that incident is in custody and is being treated for what police say appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
That incident took place just blocks away from today’s officer involved shooting.
- Site of Mackenzie Lueck murder up for sale... described as what? (pageviews: 3069)
- Church releases updated handbook; section addressing transgender individuals (pageviews: 2736)
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony (pageviews: 2468)
- Some Oregon residents petition to join "Greater Idaho" (pageviews: 1671)
- This violinist played her instrument as surgeons removed a brain tumor (pageviews: 1574)
- Contests (pageviews: 1382)
- Celebrities rally to send Quaden Bayles to Disneyland after bullying video goes viral (pageviews: 1281)