Costco bans non-members from their food court
UNITED STATES — Have a hankering for slice of pizza and frozen yogurt at the Costco food court? Starting in March, you’ll need to have a membership to enjoy it.
Signs are popping up in many Costco locations across the U.S. which will prohibit buying their famous $1.50 hot dog and drink combo unless you have a $60 membership card.
Now, critics are crying foul saying a lot of families rely on Costco’s food court because of how affordable it is.
Costco Instagram page confirms food court details
An Instagram post from @CostcoDeals confirmed there is a coming change, but that it will be implemented on different dates that may vary by store. However, corporate headquarters hasn’t given official word on the change.
Do you take the family to Costco’s food court for an inexpensive dinner? You may be out of luck if you don’t have a membership at the bulk retail store. Find out why on @kslnewsradio in 5-minutes pic.twitter.com/kzYhIZ7FuZ
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) February 26, 2020
Enforcement isn’t a “new” idea
Apparently, the bulk retail chain is tired of semi-free loaders. The Instagram post said an active membership card is required to purchase items from the Costco food court starting March 19th.
A customer service representative told Fox Business the rule is already in place, but has been difficult to enforce.
In Utah, the food court is accessible to anyone. It’s unknown if the policy will roll out to all locations. But social media posts are blasting the Instagram posts, calling the $60 annual membership to use the food court ‘classist’ and a “trash move strictly driven by money.”
View this post on Instagram
⚡️UPDATE: THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED! May still vary per store and roll out date may vary as well… . 🤔Received a ton of DMs on this today…and need some #Costco Employees to chime in and confirm or deny and let us know if this is true or not and if true be nationwide? . 🌭🍕To us it makes complete sense! Not sure why it’s taken Costco so long to implement…I mean you have to have a membership for gas….Any employees out there that can help clarify this?😍
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour