Two US service members killed in Iraq, Pentagon confirms
(CNN) — Two US service members were killed on Sunday in Iraq by enemy forces, the Pentagon said in a statement Monday morning.
The individuals’ names have not yet be released pending notification to next of kin.
The soldiers were killed while “advising and accompanying Iraqi Security Forces during a mission to eliminate an ISIS terrorist stronghold” in the country, the statement said.
Earlier this year, the Iraqi Parliament voted to end the presence of all foreign troops in Iraq. The vote represented a rebuke of the US over its targeted airstrike on Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian commander who was killed in January.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Utah man arrested, charged with assault on flight from New York to Salt Lake
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Case of Jacob City Fire suspect dismissed
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Grandson of two found dead at a home in Clearfield facing murder charges