UDOT making big changes on I-15 in Davis, Weber Counties
NORTHERN UTAH – Anyone driving through Davis County will see new layout changes on I-15 starting Saturday.
UDOT is shifting a southbound lane of I-15 just after the 650 North exit in Clearfield to the northbound side of the freeway. The crossover ends just after the exit ramp to 700 South in Clearfield.
The right lane will remain where it normally is for those who need to exit I-15.
SOUTHBOUND DRIVERS AREN’T THE ONLY ONES AFFECTED
Then next week, UDOT spokesman Zach Whitney said an even longer section of I-15 will crossover on the northbound side of the freeway. This will most likely happen Wednesday.
Drivers moving between 650 North in Clearfield to 5600 South in Roy will see one left lane moved over to the southbound side.
All of this is to extend the express lanes on both sides of the freeway. Currently, the HOV lanes end and begin — depending on the direction of travel — in Layton.
Whitney said this project was planned far in advance. It was not moved up because fewer people are now on the roads. He said there are so many parts involved, it’s unlikely it will be completed sooner just because there’s a lack of traffic.
And because there are so few people on the roads, Whitney said some drivers could go into auto-pilot. It’s important, he said, to stay alert — especially in road construction zones. This will improve everyone’s safety.
HOW LONG WILL THIS LAST?
The ‘crossovers,’ which begin this week, are expected to be completed by the end of 2020.
But after that, the second phase of the project begins. So, drivers will still have strange lane configurations because of I-15 changes to deal with until fall of 2021, according to Whitney.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?