For the third time in a year, Utah Airmen deployed to combat
HILL AIR FORCE BASE — Residents in northern Utah were awoken to the sound of jet engines flying overhead two weeks ago. At the time, the Hill Air Force Base said the flyover of the jets was “part of a scheduled military operation,” and now we know a little more about where they went.
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) May 20, 2020
According to a release from the Air Force, for the third time in the last year, Airmen from the 388th Fighter Wing and 419th Fighter Wing at Hill Air Force Base deployed F-35A Lighting IIs into combat.
They say this latest deployment was of the 421st Fighter Squadron who left Hill Air Force Base on the 20th to assist US Air Force Central Command at Al Dhafra Air Base in the United Arab Emirates.
“The 421st Fighter Squadron completed their stand up in December and now they’re our latest squadron heading into the fight,” said Col. Steven Behmer, 388th Fighter Wing commander. “This demonstrates the readiness of our Airmen, our weapons system, and the importance of both to the Air Force and our national defense mission. On top of that, add in prepping and training in this challenging coronavirus environment. As leaders, we couldn’t be more proud of our Airmen.”
The squadron was made of active-duty pilots and maintainers from the 421st and Reserve 466th Fighter Squadrons and Aircraft Maintenance Units as well as personnel in other support functions.
Col. Brian Silkey, the acting commander of the 419th, says he’s proud of what they’re doing.
“I’m extremely proud of our personnel for answering their nation’s call once again, and I’m certain they’ll do an exceptional job. As always, we truly appreciate the sacrifices of their families and civilian employers as our Citizen Airmen step away to serve, especially now, during these challenging and uncertain times.”
Remember those early morning takeoffs from @hafb a while back? We can finally confirm that for the third time in approximately 12 months, Airmen from the @388fw and @419fw deployed F-35A Lighting IIs into combat. But you probably guessed that. ⚡️🇺🇸https://t.co/om8RbplaMK pic.twitter.com/Hg0HdFgcQ3
— 388th Fighter Wing (@388fw) June 1, 2020
Other Hill Air Force Base stories:
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Brigham City Police seeking help in locating missing teenager
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- New photo of Gabby Petito raises questions
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Ogden Police looking for driver that hit a crossing guard
- House Speaker Wilson expresses disappointment in Biden’s State of the Union Address