KEARNS, Utah — A man whom police say struck a 7-year-old boy on a bicycle in a hit and run accident turned himself in and was arrested Saturday.
Jesus Mancinas, 22, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail, accused of failing to remain at the scene of an accident involving an injury. Police say he was also driving on a denied license.
According to a police affidavit filed in connection with his arrest, witnesses saw a Chevrolet Camaro “hitting an unknown object in the road and speeding away” near 4150 W. 5085 South on Friday at about 7:15 p.m.
“The Camaro had the bike and one of the victim’s shoe attached to the car when it rounded the corner to leave the area,” the affidavit continued.
Unified police say a nearby doorbell camera captured video of the hit and run crash, which they say threw the 7-year-old boy about 30 feet from his bike. They found his bike about a block away.
Police say the boy was taken to Primary Children’s Hospital for treatment for several injuries, including cuts, bruises, broken hips and other internal injuries. By Saturday, police said his condition had been upgraded from fair to good.
According to the affidavit, Mancinas was initially accused of fleeing the accident scene, but later turned himself in at the home of the victim.
- Driver in hit and run that injured Payson child steps forward
- Unified Police, UDOT raise awareness about distracted driving
- Ex-police chief speaks out on shooting of 13-year-old Linden Cameron | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5128)
- Ex-police chief speaks out on shooting of 13-year-old Linden Cameron (pageviews: 2181)
- Grand jury indicts 1 police officer in Breonna Taylor death (pageviews: 1894)
- Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1664)
- Provo, Orem to move to "orange" during COVID-19 uptick (pageviews: 1608)
- Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately (pageviews: 1498)
- Navajo to extend weekend lockdown because of new virus cases | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1386)
- Sen. Mitt Romney says he will not block a vote on SCOTUS nominee (pageviews: 1271)