Man critically injured, suspect in custody after Midvale shooting
MIDVALE, Utah — A man is in critical condition and another in custody after a shooting at a Motel 6 in Midvale.
Police say they responded to the motel near 72nd South and I-15 around 2:30 A.M. Wednesday morning.
According to Unified Police, a 32-year-old man was shot inside one of the rooms at the same time a SWAT Team was serving a search warrant on the scene. After hearing the shots fired, police say officers pursued a man who started to flee on foot.
Officers then chased the suspect through adjacent parking lots, but say he hid behind a dumpster and fired a weapon at them. According to police, the suspect fired more than one round, although they did not return fire. No officers were injured in the incident.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) August 26, 2020
Sgt. Melody Cutler, public information officer with Unified Police, says the victim was transported to a nearby hospital in critical condition.
Later in the morning, an investigative unit began searching the motel room where the injured man was found.
“Our investigators are on-scene, they’re currently writing search warrants for the motel room,” Cutler said. “They’ll go into that room and do a search of that room.”
She adds that the investigation isn’t limited to the motel, but will extend to where the suspect was eventually arrested.
“They will make sure we found everything at these scenes,” she said. “Take photographs, all the scans that we normally do. As well as go over to the storage unit where the suspect was found to see if there’s anything over there.”
Today’s Top Stories
- 12-year-old girl in critical condition after getting hit by parade car in Kaysville
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Manhunt underway for gunman after mass shooting at July 4th parade in Highland Park, Illinois
- Silver alert activated in American Fork, missing possibly in Wendover
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- UPDATE: SLCPD arrest two in connection to Sunday night’s shooting