SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Health (UDOH) reported 747 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday. The infection rate spiked to 11.1%. UDOH reports one additional death.
As of Wednesday, the rolling 7-day average for positive tests is 585 per day. On Tuesday, Utah’s coronavirus infection rate was 10.6% with a daily average of 522 cases per day.
“We are currently experiencing a new spike in cases, similar to what we saw earlier in the summer,” said State Epidemiologist, Dr. Angela Dunn, in a statement.
“It’s time to reiterate the importance of people taking these preventive measures. By wearing masks, physically distancing, and staying home if we are sick, we can prevent unnecessary death and illness.”
However, COVID-19 related hospitalizations are decreasing. The number of those hospitalized with COVID-19 is now 115. There were 128 people hospitalized on Tuesday. The total hospitalizations from the beginning of the outbreak are 3,381.
Additionally, UDOH says the one new death was a male, over the age of 85, from Salt Lake County. He was not hospitalized at his time of death.
“We learned from our experience this summer that wearing masks and practicing physical distancing, along with staying home when we’re sick and washing our hands regularly, can help slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities,” said Dr. Dunn.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 8831)
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map (pageviews: 5008)
- Jordan School District closes Riverton High School Thursday and Friday (pageviews: 2079)
- Utah sets COVID-19 records for single day and rolling average increases | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1888)
- Utah sets COVID-19 records for single day and rolling average increases (pageviews: 1719)
- VIDEO: Police shooting in Holladay sends one person to hospital | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1060)
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87 (pageviews: 932)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 905)