HOLLADAY, Utah — A Layton man is hospitalized after a shooting involving a Unified Police Department officer in Holladay Thursday afternoon.
According to Sheriff Rosie Rivera, the officer observed what he believed to be a crash at the intersection of 4500 South and 2300 East between a motorcyclist and a truck.
Rivera says, “He ran over to see what was going on. The individual on the motorcycle took off running and there was a short foot pursuit.”
Investigators say the suspect, Eric Pectol, 49, started aggressively fighting with the officers on the scene.
“The individual then bent down, picked up a gun that was on the ground, pointed it at the officers and the officers fired at him,” she says.
We just got this video from a person who saw what happened. It appears that a person was running away from police.
You can see something drop to the ground, a person goes to grab for it. We pause it before that person goes down. Latest at 5:00 @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/YVjwBIrnzk
— Ashley Moser (@AshleyMoser) September 17, 2020
Pectol was taken to the hospital in “either serious or critical condition,” according to Rivera. The officers may have been banged up from the fight, but they were not significantly hurt.
Authorities still have a lot of questions about what happened before the shooting. For instance, they don’t know what sparked the fighting, and they can’t conform whose gun Pectol reportedly picked up from the ground.
“That what the [Officer Involved Critical Incident] Protocol Team will find out. We do know from one witness who did say the individual said that he had a gun,” Rivera says.
Update on OIS in Holliday. Sheriff Rivera says a man on a motorcycle crashed with a truck, started fighting with an approaching officer, then pointed a weapon at an officer. The man is in either serious or critical condition. pic.twitter.com/QqAlMy99rE
— Paul Nelson (@KSLPaul) September 17, 2020
During the struggle, a Granite School District bus was at the intersection. However, officials report there are no known injuries from any of the students onboard.
Police say even though they’ve spoken with witnesses, they’re still hoping more people will come forward with information.
Rivera says,“Also, if anybody has video with cell phones out all the time, now, we would appreciate any information so we can provide that to the protocol team.”
- Range Fire leads to Provo Canyon closure and evacuations | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 13361)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 11981)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 8329)
- UPDATES: Range Fire and Fire Canyon fire | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 6114)
- Truckers ask UDOT to fix lanes on I-15 after near miss | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4703)
- Missing hiker found in Zion National Park after 12-day search (pageviews: 4566)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4133)
- Range Fire leads to Provo Canyon closure and evacuations (pageviews: 2598)