(CNN) — A popular Instagram star is catching flak after Boston’s Licensing Board ordered his latest restaurant venture to close for failing to meet Covid-19 public safety standards, a city spokesperson told CNN.
The restaurant, Nusr-Et Boston, is part of a chain of steakhouses headed by Turkish celebrity chef Nusret Gökçe. ”
“Salt Bae,” as he is better known, became famous on social media for the dramatic flair he added when butchering and salting his meat.
Violations listed on the city’s website included patrons and employees not wearing masks, along with blocked fire exits. Multiple complaints on the city’s 311 website also described cramped quarters, with many customers and employees going maskless. Video Gökçe posted to Instagram last week showed people closely lined up outside the restaurant, most in masks but some without, as crowds cheered the chef.
The city responded to the violations by ordering the restaurant to immediately cease operations, and indefinitely suspended its alcohol beverages license.
An emergency hearing has been scheduled for Sept. 29, a city spokesperson told CNN.
The restaurant chain did not immediately respond to CNN’s requests for comment.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
- Range Fire leads to Provo Canyon closure and evacuations | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 13361)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 11981)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 8329)
- UPDATES: Range Fire and Fire Canyon fire | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 6114)
- Truckers ask UDOT to fix lanes on I-15 after near miss | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4703)
- Missing hiker found in Zion National Park after 12-day search (pageviews: 4566)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4133)
- Range Fire leads to Provo Canyon closure and evacuations (pageviews: 2598)