University of Utah alerts students to reported sex assault
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has alerted students and staff to a reported sexual assault on campus.
Late Saturday night, the University issued a safety warning indicating that the school had been notified of a sexual assault that occurred between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. in the 400 block of S. Mario Capecchi Drive.
The alert said the assault took place in a dark-colored, late-model vehicle.
There reportedly was a weapon in the car, but the alert said it was not used in the commission of the assault.
University of Utah police said there is a person of interest in this case, described as a male with a slim build with a shaved head.
Lt. Jason Hinojosa told KSL 5 TV’s Garna Mejia that the woman involved in the assault is in her late 20s, and is not a student at the University of Utah. However, the University says that a crisis support specialist is offering resources to and working with the victim.
The school also says that a detective specializing in interpersonal violence will speak with the victim in an effort to get more information and details about the attack.
How it happened
Hinojosa said the victim met the suspect on a dating website and that when they met, he convinced her to get into his car.
However, Hinojosa said the man in the car was not the same man as the profile picture the woman had viewed online.
The report says the person of interest was wearing a military uniform, but there was no information given as to distinguishing characteristics of the uniform.
An active investigation continues on Sunday morning. Anybody with information should contact University Police at 801-585-2677.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- After being hit by a bus, Ryan Hamilton announces changes to performance schedule
- Free fares across entire UTA system for the month of February
- Spirit Airlines comes to Salt Lake City Airport
- Police now have persons of interest in Moab double murder case
- Man in custody following high-speed chase through Utah County
- Jennie Nguyen removed from Real Housewives of SLC
- Bill aimed to ‘save’ Great Salt Lake to be introduced this legislative session
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moving missionaries out of Ukraine
- Teacher claims school district retaliated against her after she reported students were…