SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has alerted students and staff to a reported sexual assault on campus.
Late Saturday night, the University issued a safety warning indicating that the school had been notified of a sexual assault that occurred between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. in the 400 block of S. Mario Capecchi Drive.
The alert said the assault took place in a dark-colored, late-model vehicle.
There reportedly was a weapon in the car, but the alert said it was not used in the commission of the assault.
University of Utah police said there is a person of interest in this case, described as a male with a slim build with a shaved head.
Lt. Jason Hinojosa told KSL 5 TV’s Garna Mejia that the woman involved in the assault is in her late 20s, and is not a student at the University of Utah. However, the University says that a crisis support specialist is offering resources to and working with the victim.
The school also says that a detective specializing in interpersonal violence will speak with the victim in an effort to get more information and details about the attack.
How it happened
Hinojosa said the victim met the suspect on a dating website and that when they met, he convinced her to get into his car.
However, Hinojosa said the man in the car was not the same man as the profile picture the woman had viewed online.
The report says the person of interest was wearing a military uniform, but there was no information given as to distinguishing characteristics of the uniform.
An active investigation continues on Sunday morning. Anybody with information should contact University Police at 801-585-2677.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 2930)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes (pageviews: 2212)
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1533)
- McCluskeys and U of U reach settlement agreement in death of student (pageviews: 1522)
- #StandUnited: Peterson and Cox issue joint PSA on political civility (pageviews: 1313)
- Utah sets another record for single day COVID-19 infections (pageviews: 1227)
- Senator Romney says he did not vote for President Trump (pageviews: 975)
- UDOT estimates I-15 will remain closed until at least 10 a.m. (pageviews: 954)