A COVID-19 positive Utah prison inmate has died, cause unclear
DRAPER, Utah — An 82-year-old prison inmate, who also tested positive for COVID-19, has died, the Utah Department of Correction said Wednesday.
The inmate was found deceased in his Oquirrh 5 facility cell at the Utah State Prison in Draper on Wednesday morning, according to a statement from the department.
Before his death, the department said the inmate tested positive Oct. 30 for COVID-19, but, “he had reported no symptoms up until the time of death.”
In a statement, department said the prisoner had “several comorbidities,” which likely contributed to his death. It’s unclear if the inmate died as a result of COVID-19. The medical examiner will determine cause of death.
The department said medical staff is monitoring potential COVID-19 outbreaks at the prison, emphasizing vigilance over the Oquirrh 5 facility where the prison’s most medically vulnerable prisoners reside.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court
- Hill Air Force Base’s Air and Space show bringing STEM to kids