A COVID-19 positive Utah prison inmate has died, cause unclear
DRAPER, Utah — An 82-year-old prison inmate, who also tested positive for COVID-19, has died, the Utah Department of Correction said Wednesday.
The inmate was found deceased in his Oquirrh 5 facility cell at the Utah State Prison in Draper on Wednesday morning, according to a statement from the department.
Before his death, the department said the inmate tested positive Oct. 30 for COVID-19, but, “he had reported no symptoms up until the time of death.”
In a statement, department said the prisoner had “several comorbidities,” which likely contributed to his death. It’s unclear if the inmate died as a result of COVID-19. The medical examiner will determine cause of death.
The department said medical staff is monitoring potential COVID-19 outbreaks at the prison, emphasizing vigilance over the Oquirrh 5 facility where the prison’s most medically vulnerable prisoners reside.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Update: 5-year-old still in critical condition after being hit by truck while riding balance bike
- Biden to pardon all federal offenses of simple marijuana possession in first major steps…
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- A kidnapped family of 4 has been found dead in California, authorities say
- Voters could see an increase in police presence at the polls
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Church leader speaks of caring for the earth at Why It Matters conference
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces