Sex trafficking bust results in 18 arrests in Weber County
OGDEN, Utah — Authorities in Weber County arrested at least 18 people after a sweeping sex trafficking operation.
Lt. Cortney Ryan with the Weber County Sheriff’s Office said officers set up fake accounts online, and the people arrested are those who responded to the sex trafficking sting.
Sex trafficking in Weber County
He says the goal in these types of operations is to protect people, particularly younger victims forced into sex trafficking. But officials also hope to raise awareness about a taboo topic.
“Unfortunately, it’s one of those things that nobody likes to really talk about,” Ryan said. “That is the biggest target that we’re looking for, is to, you know, bring awareness that it is here, it is present. And we’re watching it. We’re paying attention to it and we won’t tolerate [sex trafficking] here in Weber County.”
Read more: How the FBI defines human trafficking
According to Ryan, the bust took place Dec. 22, 2020, at an undisclosed motel in the area. 17 men face multiple charges in the bust, including solicitation of prostitution. One woman faces prostitution charges.
Ryan said parents should monitor what their kids do online, including with whom they interact, to guard against becoming victims. More information is available in the stories below.
- Child sex trafficking: It’s probably not what you think it is
- Utahns march for World Day Against Trafficking
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- In-depth: Shining a light on human trafficking
Contributing: Mary Richards
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Frigid temperatures delaying some school start times
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Man suspected of kidnapping and beating a woman in Oregon may be using dating apps to evade police
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- District reassigns principal of Virginia school where boy, 6, allegedly shot teacher,…