Facebook removes, Twitter restricts Pres. Trump video about U.S. Capitol protests
SALT LAKE CITY –Late Wednesday afternoon, Facebook reported that it had removed from its platform a video posted by President Trump on Wednesday addressing the protest at the U.S. Capitol.
This is an emergency situation and we are taking appropriate emergency measures, including removing President Trump’s video. We removed it because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence.
— Guy Rosen (@guyro) January 6, 2021
Earlier on Wednesday, Twitter restricted anybody from responding or replying to the same video tweeted by Mr. Trump, in response to the protest at the U.S. Capitol.
Twitter adds label to Trump video, saying it can’t be replied to, retweeted or liked due to a risk of violence –> pic.twitter.com/Qqkz3gSnj2
— Herb Scribner (@HerbScribner) January 6, 2021
Those who click on the President’s tweet will see a message reading “This claim of election fraud is disputed, and this tweet can’t be replied to, retweeted, or liked due to a risk of violence.”
By stating that the President’s tweet is a claim of election fraud, the social media company is referring to Mr. Trump’s initial statements on the video, wherein he repeats falst claims about the 2020 election being fraudulent and “stolen.”
The move by the social media platform comes after other Twitter users called on Twitter to suspend Pres. Trump’s account. Business Insider quotes one user who claimed to be on Twitter’s Trust and Safety Board, saying “the time is now” to suspend Mr. Trump’s account after he “has deliberately incited violence.”
According to CNN, the Anti-Defamation League issued a statement accusing Trump of promoting sedition and inciting violence.
“President Trump has a responsibility to call for an end to this violence and unrest that he has sowed. His campaign of disinformation is a clear and present danger to our democracy,” said ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt. “But until such time as that happens, social media companies should suspend his accounts ASAP as they would do for anyone else advocating disinformation and promoting violence. It’s time.”
“In regard to the ongoing situation in Washington, D.C., we are working proactively to protect the health of the public conversation occurring on the service and will take action on any content that violates the Twitter Rules,” Twitter said.
“Threats of and calls to violence are against the Twitter Rules, and we are enforcing our policies accordingly. In addition, we have been significantly restricting engagement with Tweets labeled under our Civic Integrity Policy due to the risk of violence. This means these labeled Tweets will not be able to be replied to, retweeted, or liked.”
According to CNN, Twitter is still considering other “escalated enforcement actions,” the platform said.
This is a breaking story. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Interactive map shows where fireworks are off-limits in Utah
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse