Romney supports impeachment trial; new poll shows his support is slipping
Utah Senator Mitt Romney says an impeachment trial is necessary for former President Donald Trump.
“I believe that what is being alleged and what we saw, which is incitement to insurrection, is an impeachable offense. If not, what is?” he told CNN on Sunday morning.
He says he’s studied law review articles that show holding an impeachment trial for a former president is constitutional.
“If we’re going to have unity in our country, it’s important to recognize the need for accountability, for truth and justice,” Romney told Fox News on Sunday.
He said the effort to corrupt the election was made not by President Joe Biden, but by President Trump. He called it an attack on the foundation of democracy and something that has to be considered and resolved.
He says he’ll listen to both sides before his vote.
“I’ll read the briefs, and I’ll make a decision, and I’ll make a decision based on the facts and evidence that is presented,” he told CNN.
Romney was the only Republican to vote for impeachment last time.
A new Deseret News/Hinckley Institute of Politics poll looks at the ramifications.
Romney has a higher than ever job disapproval rating. It’s now up to 46% of Utahns not happy while 50% do approve.
64% of Republicans in the state disapprove of his job performance, including half who strongly disapprove. 84% of Democrats approve of Romney.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- Draper City suing Geneva Rock, the mining company at Point of the Mountain
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one