Read inaugural poet Amanda Gorman’s Super Bowl poem
(CNN) — For Amanda Gorman, Inauguration Day was just the beginning. Now, she can cross the Super Bowl off her bucket list, too.
Gorman, who performed her poetry at President Joe Biden’s inauguration last month, was back Sunday evening. This time, though, the youth poet laureate was honoring educator Trimaine Davis, ICU nurse manager Suzie Dorner and veteran James Martin — all named “Honorary Captains” ahead of the game for their leadership during the Covid-19 pandemic.
A video of Gorman performing her poem, “Chorus of the Captains,” was played ahead of the three heroes’ introduction on-field. The young poet has seen immense success in recent weeks following her inaugural poem, having been signed with IMG models just days later, as well as interviewed by Michelle Obama for Time Magazine.
— NFL (@NFL) February 7, 2021
Here’s her poem from Sunday evening:
Today we honor our three captains
For their actions and impact in
A time of uncertainty and need.
They’ve taken the lead,
Exceeding all expectations and limitations,
Uplifting their communities and neighbors
As leaders, healers and educators.
James has felt the wounds of warfare,
But this warrior still shares
His home with at-risk kids.
During Covid, he’s even lent a hand
Live-streaming football for family and fans.
Trimaine is an educator who works nonstop,
Providing his community with hotspots,
Laptops and tech workshops,
So his students have all the tools
They need to succeed in life and in school.
Suzie is the ICU nurse manager at a Tampa hospital.
Her chronicles prove that even in tragedy, hope is possible.
She lost her grandmothers to the pandemic,
And fights to save other lives in the ICU battle zone,
Defining the front line heroes risking their lives for our own.
Let us walk with these warriors,
Charge on with these champions,
And carry forth the call of our captains!
We celebrate them by acting
With courage and compassion,
By doing what is right and just.
For while we honor them today,
It is they who every day honor us.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Head on collision reported, State Route 73 closure
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Crash in Uintah County claims the life of a 19-year-old man
- LGBTQ advocacy groups to file lawsuit over Utah’s transgender-related surgery law
- Officer-involved shooting in Iron County
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk