Long lines for the COVID-19 vaccination generated a lot of complaints over the weekend in Salt Lake County.
People, many who were over age 70, said they waited in long lines Saturday up to three hours to go through the COVID-19 vaccination process at the Mountain America Expo Center in Sandy. The Salt Lake County Health Department set up the Expo Center as a vaccination site.
Spokesman Nicholas Rupp said there was a good reason for the delay. Because there were 1,ooo extra vaccine doses, people on the waitlist were called in.
“We knew that would increase wait times that day, one time,” said Rupp, “But we decided it was worth it to vaccinate that many more people and to ensure that vaccine didn’t go to waste.”
Still, Rupp said the Health Department has reconfigured its layout, on the off chance it obtains extra doses again.
Rupp, though, said there were chairs on hand for people in line. He said there were wheelchairs and golf carts for those who needed them. And, there were even proxies to stand in line for those who had to leave to use the restroom.
The health department’s website says as of today, it has set up appointments through the end of the month.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Rob Bishop suddenly resigns from Utah Redistricting Commission
- 4 African lions at Utah’s Hogle Zoo test positive for COVID-19 Delta Variant
- Utah app “pirate” turns out to be wanted man from Indiana
- $24 billion in goods is floating outside California’s biggest ports
- Extreme couponers were sent to prison in $31.8 million fraud scheme
- Great Salt Lake dust could be toxic, bad for snow season
- Hospitals in need of crutches/canes across Utah, donations needed
- Police: 2 die, 4 injured in Idaho mall shooting
- Logan coffee shop offers help to those experiencing mental health crisis
- Ogden police investigating death of 41-year-old man