Walmart just boosted pay to $15. It’s not what you think
(CNN) — Walmart, America’s largest private employer, will raise pay for 425,000 US workers — more than a fourth of its workforce — to at least $13 an hour.
Starting March 13, hourly workers stocking shelves and fulfilling customers’ home delivery and curbside pickup orders in stores will receive a starting rate of $13 to $19 an hour, based on the store’s location and market, Walmart US CEO John Furner said in note to Walmart workers Thursday. Last year, the company raised wages for 165,000 store workers in management roles to a starting rate of $18 an hour.
Walmart said that the latest pay bumps will bring its average hourly wage to above $15 an hour. But Walmart will maintain its $11 minimum wage.
In recent years, many rival retailers and restaurant chains have moved to a $15 an hour minimum wage. Amazon raised its starting wage to $15 in 2018, while Target and Best Buy bumped up their minimum wages to $15 last year.
The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 an hour since 2009.
President Joe Biden included a $15 federal minimum wage in his $1.9 trillion stimulus proposal last month, and it’s part of the package working its way through the House. The legislation, which could be voted on as soon as next week, calls for hiking the hourly wage in stages until it hits $15 in 2025.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Transit Authority closes Ballpark Station due to debris on tracks
- 21-year-old man sentenced for multiple sex crimes
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- BYU engineering students put ‘world’s smallest Book of Mormon’ on 4 inch disc
- Man in custody after hours of negotiation in Orem home
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Annual Golden Key Awards presented to local businesses