Long time Tabernacle Choir director Jerold Ottley passes away
Feb 20, 2021, 8:47 AM | Updated: 9:01 am
SALT LAKE CITY — Jerold Ottley, who directed The Tabernacle Choir for almost a quarter of a century, died Friday at the age of 86.
For nearly a quarter of a century, Jerold Ottley directed The Tabernacle Choir from its home on Temple Square. Ottley died on Friday, February 19, 2021, in Salt Lake City. He was 86.
— The Tabernacle Choir (@TheTabChoir) February 20, 2021
Ottley directed The Tabernacle Choir from its home on Temple Square from 1974 to 1999, and was known for his organizational skills that helped shape the choir into what it is today.
His tenure included 1,300 Music & the Spoken Word broadcasts, 30 commercial recordings, more than 20 major tours around the world, and thousands of rehearsals and performances, according to a news release sent out late this week.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- DWR officials taking steps to protect California condors
- Utah Gov. turns 56 bills into new Utah laws, several involve Bears Ears