Long time Tabernacle Choir director Jerold Ottley passes away
Feb 20, 2021, 8:47 AM | Updated: 9:01 am
SALT LAKE CITY — Jerold Ottley, who directed The Tabernacle Choir for almost a quarter of a century, died Friday at the age of 86.
For nearly a quarter of a century, Jerold Ottley directed The Tabernacle Choir from its home on Temple Square. Ottley died on Friday, February 19, 2021, in Salt Lake City. He was 86.
— The Tabernacle Choir (@TheTabChoir) February 20, 2021
Ottley directed The Tabernacle Choir from its home on Temple Square from 1974 to 1999, and was known for his organizational skills that helped shape the choir into what it is today.
His tenure included 1,300 Music & the Spoken Word broadcasts, 30 commercial recordings, more than 20 major tours around the world, and thousands of rehearsals and performances, according to a news release sent out late this week.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered