Suspect in Provo officer-involved shooting identified
PROVO, Utah — The Provo Police Department has released the name of a man who police said was shooting at officers at the Vista Ridge Apartments in Provo on Thursday.
According to a police statement, Provo resident Keith Justin Taylor, age 44, had fled into his apartment at 80 S. 900 E. in Provo, after police had attempted to arrest him. They’d been called to the scene to investigate a gunshot.
The statement indicates that Taylor retrieved an AR-15 style rifle, and began firing on police.
Officer John Oseguera was seriously injured in the shooting after being hit at least twice in his lower body. He was able to take cover as other officers exchanged gunfire with Taylor, eventually wounding the suspect.
Provo police said that Taylor was treated for his injuries and released from the hospital today. He was booked at the Utah County Jail for felony discharge of a firearm as well as three counts of attempted aggravated murder against Provo police officers.
Police said that an investigation continues.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac dead at 79
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident