Student applications are up again at the University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The number of student applications to the University of Utah are still going up, according to Steve Robinson, associate vice-president for enrollment.
Robinson says the rising number of student applications may be partly due to students applying to more colleges than they normally would. The FAFSA financial aid forms submitted by students as they apply are also increasing at the U, though Robinson says that’s not the case everywhere.
He said, “We’re up significantly among new students than we were at this same point last year,” he says, “and we know nationally, that number is down about 9%.”
Across the country, USA Today reports the number of financial aid forms submitted by low-income students has dropped about 12% and by more than 14% among students of color.
Students are required to make a commitment t0 attend one of the colleges where they have been accepted on May 1st.
Robinson says, “We’ll know a lot more at that point about what our class is going to look like, but right now, it’s looking pretty positive.”
The University of Utah set a record last fall with the largest freshman class in its history with 4,483 students.
- U of U professor creates COVID-19 test that can return results in a minute
- COVID long haulers get a boost from University of Utah research
- Utah Board of Higher Ed. names interim University of Utah President
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Used car prices dropping but supply still low