Dixie State student dead after car accident in Nevada
LAS VEGAS — A Dixie State University (DSU) student and Salt Lake City native has died following a car accident in Las Vegas.
Samuela Tupola, 23, a student majoring in communication studies at Dixie State University, was one of five people involved in the accident.
Dixie student killed in accident
The accident occurred around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Tupola, along with his four cousins, was traveling northbound near the Las Vegas Speedway, back to Utah, when a white sedan traveling south in the northbound lane crashed into their vehicle, according to Nevada Highway Patrol (NHP).
#TrafficAlert Wrong way crash involving multiple vehicles. I15 NB at Speedway. NB I15 closed at the northern beltway. #WrongWay #BuckleUp #DriveSafeNV #LivesAreOnTheLine #NHPSoComm pic.twitter.com/Gzear7WPSo
— NHP Southern Command (@NHPSouthernComm) March 13, 2021
The accident involved at least three vehicles. NHP says a semi-truck heading north attempted to brake but ended up nicking Tupola’s car.
The conditions of the other four passengers are unknown at this time. The family of Tupola has set up a GoFund Me page to help cover funeral and medical expenses.
Today’s Top Stories
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- US-Iran match reflects a regional rivalry for many Arab fans
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- What to do after a fender bender in snowy weather?
- Emergency snow preparation will prove vital this winter