Dixie State student dead after car accident in Nevada
LAS VEGAS — A Dixie State University (DSU) student and Salt Lake City native has died following a car accident in Las Vegas.
Samuela Tupola, 23, a student majoring in communication studies at Dixie State University, was one of five people involved in the accident.
Dixie student killed in accident
The accident occurred around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Tupola, along with his four cousins, was traveling northbound near the Las Vegas Speedway, back to Utah, when a white sedan traveling south in the northbound lane crashed into their vehicle, according to Nevada Highway Patrol (NHP).
#TrafficAlert Wrong way crash involving multiple vehicles. I15 NB at Speedway. NB I15 closed at the northern beltway. #WrongWay #BuckleUp #DriveSafeNV #LivesAreOnTheLine #NHPSoComm pic.twitter.com/Gzear7WPSo
— NHP Southern Command (@NHPSouthernComm) March 13, 2021
The accident involved at least three vehicles. NHP says a semi-truck heading north attempted to brake but ended up nicking Tupola’s car.
The conditions of the other four passengers are unknown at this time. The family of Tupola has set up a GoFund Me page to help cover funeral and medical expenses.
Today’s Top Stories
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Utah health officials confirm three cases of rabies in bats
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Garfield County cold case homicide is brought to a close
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio