Doctors: Pregnant women can and should get COVID-19 vaccine
SALT LAKE CITY — Doctors say pregnant women absolutely should consider seeking out the COVID-19 vaccine, in response to questions shared on social media.
Pregant women and the COVID-19 vaccine
Dr. Kristen Lilja with Salt Lake Regional Medical Center encourages pregnant moms to consider getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
“As of now, data does suggest a higher risk of severe COVID infection in pregnant women compared to women of the same age that are not pregnant,” Lilja told KSL TV.
Lilja said to date, scientists have studied the affect and side-effects of the COVID-19 on 275 pregnant women. None suffered any adverse reaction so far. Additionally, Lilja said she’s unsure if moms-to-be pass antibodies down to their unborn babies to protect them, both before and after birth.
By the way, Lilja said social media posts suggesting antibodies and proteins in the vaccine cause sterilization are completely false.
This article has been corrected. A previous version stated Dr. Lilija works at the Salt Lake County Medical Center and she encourages pregnant people to consider getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
Read more from KSL TV: Doctors address concerns around COVID-19 vaccine, fertility & pregnancy
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- New photo of Gabby Petito raises questions
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- House Speaker Wilson expresses disappointment in Biden’s State of the Union Address
- Ogden Police looking for driver that hit a crossing guard
- Rep. Stewart: Lessons to be learned from Chinese spy balloon