Syracuse man sentenced in case of buried treasure
SYRACUSE, Utah — A Utah man will serve six months in prison after being sentenced for digging up and damaging an area of the Fort Yellowstone National Historic Landmark in search of buried treasure.
Rodrick Dow Craythorn, 52, was caught digging in the cemetery between October 2019 and May 2020 for what he believed to be a buried treasure with millions of dollars.
Prosecutors say he destroyed valuable archaeological resources in the cemetery, located inside Yellowstone National Park.
The treasure Craythorn was looking for was one said to have been hidden in the Rocky Mountain wilderness a decade ago by a New Mexico art dealer Forrest Fenn, who published a book with a poem containing clues to where the treasure could be found.
That treasure said to filled with gold, jewels, and other valuables worth more than $1 million. Fenn said in a statement on his website in June that it had been found.
“It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago,” Fenn said in a statement on his website Sunday that still did not reveal the exact location. “I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot.”
At least four people died searching for it.
In addition to jail time, Craythorn was also ordered to pay more than $31,000 in restitution.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- SLCPD officer witnesses wrong-way drunk driver crash into embankment
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Skier found dead at Deer Valley ski resort