Early morning shooting in Salt Lake near 9th South & 5th West leaves one dead
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — One man is dead following a shooting that happened early Monday morning in downtown Salt Lake City.
One man dead in Salt Lake shooting
Police say the fatal shooting happened around 5 a.m. near 900 South and 500 West.
On the scene of a fatal shooting in Salt Lake City. This is near 9th South & 5th West. @slcpd says a man living in a tent was shot and killed around 5am. Detectives talking to possible suspects and looking for a midsize sedan that may have been involved. Coverage on @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/BGTquGDdBC
— John Wojcik (@wojKSL) April 26, 2021
The victim is a man between 35 and 40-years-old. According to police, he was living inside a tent on the corner of the encampment area.
“One male was transported to the hospital and then upon arrival to the hospital, doctors declared him as deceased,” explains Lieutenant Timothy Stumm with the Salt Lake City Police Department.
Stumm says detectives have been speaking with potential witnesses to gather more information about the shooting. One witness was described as “hysterical” by police and they claimed to know the victim.
Police have indicated that the suspect did not live in the tent encampment and that they may have fled the area in a dark, midsize sedan.
Looking for a suspect and a sedan
At this time, cops do not have additional information about the suspect or their vehicle. They also do not have an identification for the victim.
Due to the ongoing investigation, 900 South in downtown Salt Lake is currently closed to traffic between 400 and 600 West. Drivers can use 800 South as an alternative in the area.
900 South is CLOSED between 400 and 600 West. Use 800 South as your alternate in Salt Lake City: https://t.co/IUX7qB3miw
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) April 26, 2021
Police believe that traffic will be impacted by the investigation throughout the morning and possibly into the afternoon.
Today’s Top Stories
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces the construction of 18 new temples
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Saturday morning conference session makes history
- Murray Police warning public to be on lookout for scam
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- NWS issues severe thunderstorm warning in Grand County
- First freedoms: The interconnectedness of First Amendment rights
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- The sad history of Tragedy Spring
- Progress in 175 years: Discovering new stories of Utah’s pioneers