Kanye West sneaker sale shatter record, go for $1.8M
NEW YORK — A pair of first-generation prototype Yeezy’s worn by Kanye West during his 2008 performances of “Hey Mama” and “Stronger” at the Grammy Awards with Daft Punk has nearly tripled the record price for any pair of sneakers ever sold.
Fine Art & Luxury auction house Sotheby’s announced on Monday that the “Grammy Worn” Nike Air Yeezy 1 sported by Kanye West sold for $1.8 million.
Kanye West sneakers break record
Kanye West and Mark Smith designed the size 12 black leather sneakers. RARES, a sneaker investment marketplace, picked up the shoes. The company lets buyers invest in expensive sneakers by buying and trading shares in them.
This becomes the highest publicly recorded price for a pair of shoes, and the first to top $1 million. The last shoes that even came close were a pair of Michael Jordan’s Jordan 1s; he wore them during a pre-season game in 1985 when he shattered the backboard.
View this post on Instagram
Those sold at Christie’s for $615,000.
The most expensive pair of sneakers ever sold at Sotheby’s? A pair of Nike Air Jordan 1s that sold for $560,000.
“We are thrilled with the result, which has nearly tripled the highest price on record,” Brahm Wachter, Sotheby’s head of streetwear and modern collectibles, said in a statement. “The sale speaks volumes of Kanye’s legacy as one of the most influential clothing and sneaker designers of our time, and of the Yeezy franchise he has built which has become an industry titan.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success