MILLCREEK, Utah — According to United Fire Authority, an apartment complex that was under construction went up in flames Wednesday evening. A large smoke cloud was visible from much of the Salt Lake Valley.
Fire crews were called to the scene at the intersection of 3300 South and 1300 East.
Millcreek City officials are asking people to avoid the area in addition to Brickyard Plaza.
Please avoid the intersection at 3300 S and 1300 E, Highland Dr, as well as Brickyard Plaza. Large structure fire in building that was under construction. Downed power lines on 1300 E. @FireAuthority on scene.
— Millcreek Utah (@MillcreekUT) June 16, 2021
As the fire and suppression efforts progressed, Unified Fire Authority spokesman Patrick Costin spoke with KSL Newsradio live on Facebook.
“Shortly after 5:00 PM we had multiple calls of a large commercial structural fire,” he said.
“Multiple emergency services showed up to massive flames, and so we called for extra resources.” Costin said. “We have Unified Fire folks, Salt Lake City folks, Murray folks, and South Salt Lake folks. As far as firefighter injuries go, there are none with only one civilian transported to the hospital.”
Costin did not provide further information on the single civilian injury. The cause is under investigation.
Costin confirmed the fire was not safe to fight from the inside due to structural damage. So, they have ladder trucks and doing what he calls, “A defensive operation.”
“Which is essentially, put up the big ladder trucks full of water while keeping a safe distance,” Costin explained.
He added the fire is burning quicker than usual because the structure is under construction. “Any time we have exposed wood and other building materials the fire will burn much much quicker.”
The firefighters are performing the defensive operation because there is concern that the apartment complex will collapse. Costin said that one power line did fall but did not say if this is the cause of the power outage.
We’re aware of the outage in Millcreek, Utah affecting approximately 2,510 customers. The cause of the outage in under investigation. The estimated time of restoration is 10:30 pm. For updates, please visit https://t.co/5KJ7zd0MQ1 or text OUT to 759677.
— Rocky Mountain Power UT (@RMP_Utah) June 16, 2021
Today’s Top Stories
- Police look for Laundrie in reserve; Petito still not found
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Moab homicide victims told friends if something happened to them, they were murdered
- Part of Lindon goes on lockdown as police look for suspect
- The latest in the case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Attorney: Person of interest in Gabby Petito case is now missing
- Breaking: Paraglider crash in Draper claims one life
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Destructive TikTok licks trend hits Utah schools
- Gabby Petito’s family and police urge her fiancé to come forward with any information…