Miles-long car chase began after possible sexual assault and kidnapping
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police have a man in custody after a car chase winding several miles through the city Monday morning. They said it started when a woman ran into a barbershop near Trolley Square, hysterical.
“By the time we started our investigation, we determined she was possibly the victim of a sexual assault if not a kidnapping,” said Police Lt. Lisa Pascadlo.
Now @slcpd say a women near Trolly Square was a victim of a sexual assault/kidnapping…
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) June 28, 2021
Pascadlo said that, as they took information from her, other officers found a man that matched his description. Police also said they learned that the car he was driving was stolen.
Police said the man then fled from police, winding through multiple areas of the city. He reportedly got all the way out to the Decker Lake Drive area.
Along the way, police said he hit at least three vehicles, all of which have minor damage. The suspect was also said to be brandishing a knife.
“He made stabbing motions that the officers perceived that he may be threatening to stab them at some point,” Pascadlo said.
The man’s car was damaged from all items and vehicles he hit, Pascaldo said, as well as from police trying to do pit maneuvers on his car to slow him down.
“He attempted to go across a median and crashed into a wall and subsequently surrendered,” she said. That happened near 4500 South and Main Street in Salt Lake City.
Police said he was aggressive during the pursuit and appeared to be threatening officers.
The suspect now faces multiple charges, which Pascadlo said could include aggravated assault on a police officer, possession of a stolen vehicle, evading, and “anything else that comes up during the investigation,” Pascaldo said.
Today’s Top Stories
- False alarm of reported shots fired near Granger Elementary
- Pilot uninjured in Mountain Green plane crash
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Iran wants US out of World Cup after change made to Iranian flag
- Latest snow on Utah roads prompts police to encourage safe driving
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- Utah well-represented during international gymnastics competition
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]