Miles-long car chase began after possible sexual assault and kidnapping
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police have a man in custody after a car chase winding several miles through the city Monday morning. They said it started when a woman ran into a barbershop near Trolley Square, hysterical.
“By the time we started our investigation, we determined she was possibly the victim of a sexual assault if not a kidnapping,” said Police Lt. Lisa Pascadlo.
Now @slcpd say a women near Trolly Square was a victim of a sexual assault/kidnapping…
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) June 28, 2021
Pascadlo said that, as they took information from her, other officers found a man that matched his description. Police also said they learned that the car he was driving was stolen.
Police said the man then fled from police, winding through multiple areas of the city. He reportedly got all the way out to the Decker Lake Drive area.
Along the way, police said he hit at least three vehicles, all of which have minor damage. The suspect was also said to be brandishing a knife.
“He made stabbing motions that the officers perceived that he may be threatening to stab them at some point,” Pascadlo said.
The man’s car was damaged from all items and vehicles he hit, Pascaldo said, as well as from police trying to do pit maneuvers on his car to slow him down.
“He attempted to go across a median and crashed into a wall and subsequently surrendered,” she said. That happened near 4500 South and Main Street in Salt Lake City.
Police said he was aggressive during the pursuit and appeared to be threatening officers.
The suspect now faces multiple charges, which Pascadlo said could include aggravated assault on a police officer, possession of a stolen vehicle, evading, and “anything else that comes up during the investigation,” Pascaldo said.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says