Gas prices on the rise in Utah and across the nation, likely to stay that way
SALT LAKE CITY — Gas prices in Utah are getting higher, and that’s not expected to stop in the Beehive or other states anytime soon.
In a report published this week, AAA said the national average for a gallon of gas has increased by 40% across the country since January 2o21.
Right now, Utah’s average cost per gallon is $3.58.
AAA said motorists can expect prices to increase by between $.20 and $.30 cents by the end of the year.
More demand and fewer oil tank truck drivers spell higher gas prices
AAA cited rising demand and rising costs for crude oil to explain the higher prices.
“Robust gasoline demand and more expensive crude oil prices are pushing gas prices higher,” said Jeanette McGee, AAA spokesperson.
But a recent Business Insider report says there aren’t enough oil-tank truck drivers which is getting in the way of fuel deliveries.
Citing information from the National Tank Truck Carriers, the Business Insider report said that 20% to 25% of oil tank trucks sit idle because of the driver shortage.
Gas Buddy, an application that offers a glimpse into nearby gas prices, said the least expensive gasoline in Utah right now is selling at a West Valley City Costco for $3.29 a gallon.
The application shows that the further away from the Wasatch Front, the more expensive the gasoline price.
- How you can prevent ransomware cyberattacks (like the one that shut down a fuel pipeline)
- I-15 closed in Nephi due to trailer leaking gasoline
- UK to ban sales of new diesel and gasoline cars in 2030
- Rising gas prices and family road trips
- Now hiring: Utah school districts need more bus drivers
Today’s Top Stories
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Utah health officials confirm three cases of rabies in bats
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Garfield County cold case homicide is brought to a close
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?