Community rallies behind murdered Sandy mother
SANDY, UTAH — Friends of Masako Kenley, the Sandy mother of four who was recently murdered, are now trying to fold five thousand origami cranes to give to Kenley’s four kids and husband.
Kenley was Japanese and in ancient Japanese culture, anyone who folds 1,000 cranes is promised a wish from the Gods.“In Japan, it is a custom if someone is sick, or if you are wishing someone to be well you give them — I mean a thousand cranes would be the ultimate,” Jen Springer told KSL Newsradio. Springer is a local Instagram influencer who runs the account ClassybyJen. She’s now using her platform to recruit folding help. She says the support has been overwhelming. She got emotional describing what it means to have so many strangers now reaching out to fold.
“It’s just, [she] touched so many lives just through just her own actions but also through her children and her example,” Springer said, tearfully.The group plans to gather Saturday at Patriot Park in Saratoga Springs from 12 to noon to continue folding. Springer said she is not sure when they will give the cranes to the family. They hope to surprise them, however, she recognizes media coverage might spoil that. Springer said she’s willing to share anyway.
Springer met Kenley through her sister-in-law who was a Latter-day Saint mission companion of Kenley’s. In talks with her sister-in-law, Springer said Kenley’s family is also collecting money to help bring relatives from Japan over for the funeral. Those details have not been made public.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?