Masks dominate Canyons School Board meeting before classes start
SALT LAKE CITY — Parents packed the recent meeting of the Canyons School Board to talk about masks and COVID-19 ahead of the new school year.
While some parents voiced concerns about masks, and others worried a mask mandate is needed, Canyons district officials say the issue is out of their hands because of a law passed earlier this year. However, state health officials still recommend parents send their kids to school with masks, and Gov. Spencer Cox said earlier this week he was working to ensure all children will have access to a KN95 mask if they would like one.
Canyons schools plan to put other measures in place, ranging from sanitation, testing to stay protocols, and pivoting to online learning.
Students must stay home if they run a fever or come into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
Parents at the meeting spoke both for and against having kids wear masks in schools.
This story originally appeared on KSL TV. Find more reporting here.
- Parents protest rumored mask mandate, but Salt Lake County officials weren’t issuing one
- Salt Lake County urges kids under 12 to wear masks when they return to school
- CDC updates guidance, recommends vaccinated people wear masks indoors in certain areas
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- As the snow melts, cases of canine giardia can increase
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- Jury finds Paltrow not liable in ski collision trial