Coach responds to Utah climber winning Olympic silver
SALT LAKE CITY – The coach of a Utah man who won silver at the Olympics in sport climbing is responding to his achievement.
Nathaniel Coleman, a native of Murray, won silver in the men’s combined final of sport climbing Thursday, Aug. 5, 2021 at the Tokyo Olympics, the first time the event has been included in the games.
“It’s been an amazing journey,” said Jeff Pedersen to Utah’s Morning News. “I’m one of the co-founders of Momentum Indoor Climbing here in Salt Lake City. Back in 2008, we started a youth climbing team, and Nathaniel was one of the original kids on that team. So to see him go from a kid kind of running round in the gym and having fun and climbing everything he could get his hands on, is incredible.”
Utah climber worked hard to reach silver
Pedersen said that Coleman has worked hard for many years to get to where he is at.
“He is so determined,” he said. “And so able to keep his focus on something that he sets his sight on that he was able to work his weaker areas over the last couple of years.”
Listen to the full interview here:
Pedersen said the silver medal is the reward for all the work the Utah climber has put in.
“It’s everything for him,” he said. “Nathaniel is a great all around climber, which is what this Olympic format was all about.”
Climbing is a sport that has been around in Utah longer than some people may realize.
“The community embraced it whole-heartedly,” Pedersen said. “Climbing, in Utah in particular, spans many generations from the 1950s to 1960s and 70s.”
Visit KSLSports.com for more information about the Utah native and climber winning silver.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police say Herriman woman tried to bribe an officer
- Fire sets off a propane explosion in Pleasant Grove
- Black bear captured in Morgan County
- California churchgoers detained gunman in deadly attack
- Be over the moon because total lunar eclipse coming Sunday to Utah
- iPhone sale gone wrong results in the arrest of a Salt Lake City man
- Dog thrown out of car taken in by South Salt Lake Animal Services
- A notorius ice skating hitman finds redemption through his sister’s eyes
- Dixie releases new logos ahead of official rebrand
- UPDATED: Suspect arrested in Salt Lake City fatal stabbing