Utah bus driver shortage leaves school districts scrambling
SALT LAKE CITY — There’s a bus driver shortage in Utah, all along the Wasatch Front and south to Washington County, KSL TV’s Dan Spindle reports.
And it’s not just in Utah; the shortage is nationwide and touches 80% of American school districts, Spindle said.
Right now, districts across the state need around 30 drivers. And the need impacts the work of other types of district employees including office workers and mechanics.
“It leaves our normal jobs undone, so you’re doing double duty, a lot of overtime hours,” said Jeremy Wardle, director of transportation for the Canyons School District.
Check out Dan Spindle’s report to learn what it takes to become a school bus driver in Utah.
- State school board hears public comment on Critical Race Theory proposal
- Psychologists warn parents of back to school anxiety
- Back-to-school: Laptops are cheaper, better than textbooks, says school district
- Now hiring: Utah school districts need more bus drivers
- Davis School District reports over 100 open jobs weeks before school starts
- New Davis teachers start the school year with a bang
- What parents need to know about updated school quarantine policies
- New start times for high schools in the Salt Lake City School District
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse