Charges filed against suspect in attempted kidnapping in Roy
ROY — A man accused in the attempted kidnapping of a child last week now faces formal charges in the incident near a Roy gas station.
Prosecutors officially charged Richard Rodney Palmer, 44, with felony child kidnapping and felony attempted child rape in the 2nd District Court of Weber County.
.@RoyCityPD says a 44-year-old man tried to abduct a 10-year-old girl outside this gas station Friday night. Her screams might be what saved her. The suspect now faces felony charges. @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/QejrLk8cTh
— Nick Wyatt (@NickWyattNews) August 30, 2021
Attempted kidnapping alarms Roy neighborhood
Police say Palmer tried to abduct the 10-year-old girl near a Roy gas station around 4400 South and 1900 West on Friday night. Detectives say the girl was riding her bike home after getting some treats from the gas station, when police said Palmer intercepted her. The girl told investigators she tried to avoid Palmer, but he eventually grabbed her around the throat.
Fortunately, the girl yelled for help. Police said it might have saved her life.
“She fought and screamed, and the male ran away, and she was able to get away,” said Josh Taylor, a Roy police detective. “Everything worked out really well this time.”
The girl quickly rode her bike home, told her mother, and her mother called police.
Luck leads to arrest
After police responded, they requested security footage from the gas station. A Roy police sergeant happened to recognize Palmer in the security video from previous interactions with him. Detectives were able to track Palmer down and make the arrest at his home.
“I think it’s great that our officers were able to get all the information as quickly as they were, and we were able to make that arrest,” Taylor said.
Arrest records showed Palmer admitted to trying to abduct the girl. He told investigators he intended to take the 10-year-old to a nearby abandoned home to rape her.
Palmer was convicted of unlawful sexual activity with a minor in 2007, according to court records. He was convicted of the same crime in 1998.
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Interactive map shows where fireworks are off-limits in Utah
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse