911 call that prompted interaction with Gabby Petito released
MOAB, Utah — Grand County officials released audio of a 911 call Monday related to an interaction between officers in Moab last month and a missing woman, Gabby Petito, and her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie.
The Grand County Sheriff’s Office initially denied KSL’s request for the audio but released it on appeal after determining it was not related to any ongoing investigations in Grand County.
On the recording, listeners can hear an unidentified caller alerting the sheriff’s office to what appeared to be a fight between a man and a woman in a white van. Some of those details provide new insight into their encounter with Moab police.
“A gentleman was slapping the girl,” the caller tells dispatchers in the audio. “They ran up and down the sidewalk. He proceeded to hit her, hopped in the car, and they drove off.”
“Okay, you said it’s a white van?” the dispatcher asks.
“White van,” the caller confirms. “I can give you the license plate if you give me one sec.”
On Thursday, Moab police released bodycam footage of their response to that 911 call and subsequent encounter with Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie on Aug. 12, 2021.
According to the police report, an officer witnessed Petito slapping Laundrie, but not the other way around. At the time, the police officer said what he saw did not rise to the level of an assault charge. At his urging, Laundrie spent the night in a hotel room; Petito stayed in the van.
No one has heard from Petito since late August. A body found Sunday in the Grand Teton area matches her description.
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- FBI confirms body found in Grand Teton area matches Gabby Petito’s description
- FBI searches home of Brian Laundrie after discovery of remains in Wyoming
Today’s Top Stories
- Southern Utah teenager dies in digging accident at state park in Kanab
- Kaysville woman scams friends and family of tax refunds
- In some instances, children as young as age 10 can work in Utah
- SLC experiences the 3rd largest rent increase in the nation
- Dog thrown out of car taken in by South Salt Lake Animal Services
- Division of Natural Resources offers weekly lawn watering guide
- Police say Herriman woman tried to bribe an officer
- Man found dead from self-inflicted wound following SWAT situation
- More than $430K in drugs found stuffed in car speaker in St. George
- FDA clears COVID booster shot for healthy kids ages 5 to 11