SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — A woman is dead and a man is in the hospital after a police chase that started in Wasatch County ended with a crash in Summit County.
Stolen car leads to police chase, deadly crash in Summit County
The initial call to police came from Hideout, Utah, where someone reported their car stolen this morning. A short time later, someone in Midway reported seeing people trying to break into a car. It turned out to be the same car reported stolen this morning.
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office said police tried to stop the car, but it kept going. Officers and the two suspects ended up on US 40 driving 95 mph or faster.
Eventually, both a Utah Highway Patrol trooper and a Summit County deputy tried to slow the vehicle by deflating its tires or “spiking” them. The driver lost control and crashed near the interchange with Interstate 80.
In a statement, the sheriff’s office said a female passenger in the car died at the scene of the crash. The driver, a man, was transported to a Salt Lake area hospital by medical helicopter.
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) September 22, 2021
Investigators did not provide the names of the victims. The Utah Attorney General’s Office will investigate alongside West Valley City and Park City police departments.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Demolition begins at abandoned Raging Water/Seven Peak water park
- Taylorsville Police searching for murder suspect, needs public’s help
- Two passengers died in Orem car crash
- Southbound I-15 backed up by three car crashes in Roy
- Vehicle of family that went missing 20 years ago discovered in Ohio River
- Bountiful City crews working on main waterline break
- North Salt Lake police respond to car chase that leaves one dead
- At least 13 auto safety rules are years overdue
- More than 90 snakes found under Northern California home
- A motorcyclist is dead after crashing in West Jordan