The “Guardians of the Galaxy” actor will voice Mario, the tubby Italian plumber who changed the world of video games with the release of “Super Mario Bros.” 36 years ago, Nintendo announced on Twitter on Thursday.
None of the cast is Italian — something that has sparked fierce debate and countless jokes on social media. Whether the actors will adopt Italian accents is unknown, but in a video posted to Instagram, Pratt said he had been “working hard” on the character’s voice.
Pratt also reflected that the role was a dream come true, saying he often played the arcade game as a child.
The animated film, teased in 2017, will hit theaters in North America in December 2022, Nintendo said.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Demolition begins at abandoned Raging Water/Seven Peak water park
- Taylorsville Police searching for murder suspect, needs public’s help
- Two passengers died in Orem car crash
- Southbound I-15 backed up by three car crashes in Roy
- Vehicle of family that went missing 20 years ago discovered in Ohio River
- Bountiful City crews working on main waterline break
- BYU Cougars no longer ranked among top college football teams
- North Salt Lake police respond to car chase that leaves one dead
- Santaquin police respond to adult male assaulting his elderly parents
- At least 13 auto safety rules are years overdue