Mental health magnet being mailed to Alpine District parents
SALT LAKE CITY — A magnet is coming to the mailboxes of thousands of parents in the Alpine School District. KSL TV reports that it’s actually a postcard that the district hopes parents and kids will have nearby for use in a mental health emergency.
It features telephone numbers for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and other local and national organizations that want to help anybody that feels lost and needs to talk.
Officials with the Alpine School District urged families to watch their mailboxes for an important magnet postcard that has instructions and resources on what to do during a mental health emergency.@laddegan reports.https://t.co/a2HFmslF7j
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) September 25, 2021
The District’s Suicide Prevention Coalition is the driving force behind the magnet/postcard and told KSL TV that the $30,000 cost was covered by donations.
That $30,000 will send these postcards to 114,000 homes in the Alpine School District. The idea is to start a conversation about a difficult topic, as well as to provide resources that could save the life of a young person.
Learn about why 20 minutes can be lifesaving, and how to receive the Spanish version of the postcard, here.
If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, KSL encourages you to call the suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.
Other Crisis Hotlines
Utah County Crisis Line: 801-226-4433
Salt Lake County/UNI Crisis Line: 801-587-3000; TTY 801-587-8511
Wasatch Mental Health Crisis Line: 801-373-7393
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255); TTY 1-800-799-4889
Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ Teens: 1-866-488-7386
Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 Press 1; Text to 838255
Local Utah Crisis Services
National Alliance on Mental Illness – Utah
Utah Chapter – American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Utah Suicide Prevention Coalition
Suicide Prevention Resource Center
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Preventing Suicide
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says