Ex-boyfriend arrested, accused of shooting a woman while she was driving
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — Police now believe the man who shot a woman while she was driving, leading to a crash, was in fact the woman’s ex-boyfriend.
That man has been booked into jail.
Ex-boyfriend accused in road shooting
In a probable cause statement in support of the arrest, South Jordan police alleged Mohamed Dahir Zabeir shot the woman after she drove away from him.
Monday, police responded to the call of shots fired in South Jordan near 10400 South and 2450 West. While officers began investigating, another call came in about a car crash with a gun shot victim in one of the vehicles.
Officer Justin Carlisle with South Jordan police wrote in the probable cause statement that two women met a couple of men at a gas station. That’s from the female passenger.
Police believe the female driver got into a Ford Fusion passenger car with the two men. Shortly after, they said, the woman got back into her own car and started driving away. That’s when police claim the two men pursued them and began shooting.
The female driver was hit in her lower back and in her leg. She then crashed into anther vehicle near 2200 West South Jordan Parkway.
Carlisle said the passenger eventually told him the name of man who fired the shots, describing him as the victim’s ex-boyfriend.
The probable cause statement says police sought and received a search warrant to track Zabeir’s phone. Police said Carlisle tracked Zabeir via ‘pings’ to the Ford Fusion used in the shooting. According to police, Carlisle tried to pull the suspect over, but instead allege Zabeir took off, hitting several other vehicles in the process.
Police said Zabeir then fled on foot, but ultimately, they caught up with him and arrested him. He was booked into jail on suspicion of Felony Discharge of a Weapon in the Direction of a Vehicle, Aggravated Assault resulting in Bodily Injury, and Failure to Stop or Respond at the Command of Police. Zabeir has not been formally charged.
Today’s Top Stories
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- UPDATE: Southbound I-15 lanes in Washington County reopen following closure
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- ‘Fame’ and ‘Flashdance’ singer-actor Irene Cara dies at 63
- Frontier Airlines no longer has a customer service phone line