Forget Kanye West. He’s now officially changed his name to just Ye
(CNN) — Kanye West is no more. After filing paperwork to change his name, the rapper, born Kanye Omari West, finally got what he asked for, and will be legally known as “Ye.”
Judge Michelle Williams granted the change on Monday in a California courthouse, after the rapper filed a petition to change his name in August, documents seen by CNN confirm.
The musician hinted at the change as far back as 2018, when he released his studio album “Ye,” and then several months later tweeted: “the being formally known as Kanye West. I am YE.”
Back in 2019, West suggested he might legally change his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West” for a little bit.
The rapper’s name change is just one of several recent big shifts in his life: His wife, Kim Kardashian West, filed for divorce back in February after the pair, who share four young children, had reportedly been living apart for some time.
The musician also released his highly anticipated album “Donda” in August. It debuted at the top of Billboard’s Top 200 albums chart, making him only the seventh artist to have 10 number 1 albums, according to Billboard.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Suspect in Layton Amber Alert charged
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- Missing radioactive capsule from Rio Tinto mine found on Australian road
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC