Halloween dangers for pets
Oct 29, 2021, 7:28 AM | Updated: 7:38 am
SALT LAKE CITY — Halloween is full of dangers for our pets. Cats and dogs are vulnerable to a multitude of risks this spooky season.
Danger can lurk behind every door, especially if you are frequently opening your front door to trick-or-treaters. That’s when our furry friends may try to make an escape.
Veterinarians are reminding people to keep their pets locked up safely when the little ghouls and goblins start ringing your doorbell. They say the Halloween holiday has the second-highest rate of lost pets. That’s why vets recommend all pets have a microchip.
But there are many other things to watch out for. Jessica Love, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, says candles can be very dangerous — especially for cats.
Read More: 5 ways to keep your pets safe this Halloween
“Even if you think you’re candle is out of the way, cats like to be in high places. They can be severely burned and injured if they jump up where a candle is lit,” said Love.
Dogs can also be hurt by burning candles inside pumpkins. Love said that “some canines have been known to try and eat carved jack-o-lanterns. Their noses and paws can be burned trying to get into them.”
And don’t forget about chocolate. Love stated she hopes most people know by now that chocolate is toxic for dogs, but may not realize how readily they will eat the packaging, too. Dogs will even “eat everything around the chocolate if it smells good. That includes the plastic bag and tinfoil wrappings.”
While it may be fun to see our pets dressed in cute costumes, veterinarians are cautioning against anything with beads or snaps. Metal items can cause lead poisoning in pets if they are swallowed. Plastic beads and metal can cause intestinal obstructions in dogs and cats.
This brings us to all the fun Halloween decorations.
Dr. Love says it’s never a good idea to teach your cats to play with strings. They have very rough tongues and can’t spit out items that get stuck on it. They have no choice but to swallow.
“I have big reservations about spider web decorations. Many cats play with them because they have dangling strings. If they eat it, that is a surgical emergency.” said Love.
Halloween dangers for our pets can be everywhere, be sure to stay safe this spooky season.
- Drivers and kids need to watch for each other around Halloween
- The Fear Factory launches their 2021 ‘Ten Years of Fear’ celebration with this weekend’s Halfway to Halloween haunts
- Nine charged for hosting Halloween rave in Utah County, accused of violating state health order
- UTAH COUNTY: One person injured at large Halloween party, organizers may face fines
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- The streaming shift from BYUtv to ESPN
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows