OUTDOORS + RECREATION
Desert Bighorn sheep are getting a nursery in Utah
DUCHESNE — The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) is opening its first ever nursery devoted to the desert Bighorn sheep.
First ever Bighorn sheep nursery
DWR is teaming up with Young Living, a Utah based essential oils company. Young Living is donating 1800 acres of private land in Duchesne County for the nursery. The 1800 acres at the SkyRider Wilderness Ranch will be a safe home for many Bighorns.
There’s been a nursery herd of Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep on Antelope Island for several years. But, this will be the first designated nursery area for desert Bighorns in Utah.
In a statement, Riley Peck, the DWR Once-In-A-Lifetime Species Coordinator, said “this fenced area will provide a place for our herds to safely grow.”
“Whenever we have a need to supplement or create new populations in the state, we will have our own internal Bighorn sheep population and can be self sufficient in maintaining healthy herds.” Peck added.
Exciting news! @UtahDWR partnered with @youngliving to launch the first desert bighorn sheep nursery in Utah in an effort to help grow the species’ population in the state https://t.co/anKXUC46uL
📸: @SkyriderRanch pic.twitter.com/L7qg3I6zSx
— Faith Heaton Jolley (@FaithHJolley) November 30, 2021
Why a nursery is needed
Several of Utah’s Bighorn sheep populations were decimated by disease. A report on the status of the animals was released in 2018 by the DWR also shows domestic sheep grazing and human activity is dwindling the population of some groups of Bighorn sheep around the state.
Peck said having the ranch will allow animals to be relocated to other parts of Utah to supplement those populations that are in decline, or to start new herds altogether.
The original 150 desert Bighorn sheep are coming from Nevada. Peck thanked both the Silver State and Young Living for their generosity.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date