Holiday scams on the rise, officials warn
Salt Lake City — Winter is a time to celebrate with family, give, and gather. Officials warn, it is also a time when holiday scams increase.
The holidays see in a major uptick in donations, charity, and service. However, crimes by phone, social media, and the internet also increase during the season.
Although criminals don’t target a certain age group, senior adults are more likely to fall victim.
“You have to be cautious about the kind of information you share with people you don’t know, even if they seem trustworthy,” said Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera.
Each year, thousands are victimized by a holiday scam. The scams can lead to a loss of money or identity. The most common holiday scams are a un-delivered item or an item purchased and never paid for.
“This time of year, we all worry about package theft, but porch pirates are not the only scammers to look out for,” Mayor Jenny Wilson said.
Remember not to share your social security number, bank information, or passwords with a stranger. When purchasing online verify the site is secure, check reviews, and verify the site is real. Don’t wire money straight to a vendor and don’t make purchases with a pre-paid gift card. If you fall victim, report is to your local police station.
“Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is,” said Mayor Wilson.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father and son found dead inside West Jordan home
- Evan McMullin sues super PAC, three Utah news stations for defamatory ad
- Pedestrian killed on NB I-15 in Ogden, another in critical condition
- Gov. Cox appoints John Luthy to the Utah State Court of Appeals
- Judge dismisses lawsuit alleging OB-GYN sexually assaulted over 100 women
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Three schools in Tooele went into lockdown Tuesday afternoon
- Former Utah Royals owner and coach named in women’s soccer abuse investigation
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Interim superintendent is named for Salt Lake City School District