UPDATE: Baby dies after icy conditions lead to crash in Weber Canyon
OGDEN, Utah — A 7-month-old boy is dead after a crash in Weber Canyon last night.
The Utah Department of Public Safety said icy conditions on the road contributed to the driver losing control of the van, spinning to the side of the road and rolling off.
There were five people in the Honda Odyssey when it crashed. Three people had minor injuries. But the 7-month-old was ejected and died after being taken to the hospital. UHP confirmed the car seat was “not used properly.”
Winter driving conditions are creating hazardous canyon conditions
With the onset of winter driving conditions, there have been several crashes reported on I-84 between Mountain Green and the mouth of the canyon in the last few days.
The Utah Department of Transportation says the weather has created a “fine film” of ice on parts of the roadway surface. The ice is difficult to see and typically forms on parts of the highway that are out of the sun.
UDOT crews have been regularly treating the road. The agency has also been updating the electronic roadway signs to warn drivers of possible ice.
Slow down and don’t slam your breaks
On snow and ice-covered roads, UDOT encourages drivers, no matter the type of vehicle they drive, to travel slowly. Drivers are also encouraged to give themselves enough time and space to brake efficiently.
The Department of Public Safety has a website that provides tips and pointers for winter driving. Find it here.
- A three year long test could help drivers see lane striping better
- Drivers beware! UDOT plans for closures, detours on I-80
- HAZMAT situation closes I-84 this morning
Today’s Top Stories
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Update: 5-year-old still in critical condition after being hit by truck while riding balance bike
- Voters could see an increase in police presence at the polls
- A kidnapped family of 4 has been found dead in California, authorities say
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Church leader speaks of caring for the earth at Why It Matters conference
- Election threats reported in Utah, as other states still see ‘unusual’ levels