Man taken into custody following high-speed pursuit in Riverton
RIVERTON, Utah — A 22-year-old man was taken into custody Saturday following a high-speed pursuit in Riverton.
According to Commander Ryan Schosted, of the Riverton Police Department, authorities received a call around 9:20 a.m. of a suspicious vehicle in the area of 4000 West and 12600 South.
When police arrived on scene, they discovered alcohol in the car. According to Schosted, when police began to approach the vehicle, they noticed the driver reach for something under his seat.
As authorities backed away from the vehicle, the suspect took off. The suspect drove down a cul-de-sac and then drove back past police, driving up on a sidewalk and continued to flee.
As the pursuit reached 100 mph in southern Salt Lake County, authorities called off the high-speed pursuit. However, the suspect continued to flee and sideswiped a couple of cars before colliding with a South Jordan police car who was coming into the area to assist with the pursuit.
After colliding with the police car, the suspect’s car ended up in a field where it got stuck. As a result, the suspect attempted to flee on foot. After a brief foot pursuit, the suspect was taken into custody without incident.
During the investigation, a large knife was found under the driver’s seat of the suspect’s vehicle.
The suspect has been arrested under investigation for DUI and aggregative assault of a police officer. The suspect also has a warrant out for a felony discharge of a firearm.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Suspect in Wednesday’s I-15 shooting is named, booked into jail
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat